Saturday, August 8, 2009

Ode to Fall

August has just barely begun, and I am already ready for fall. I've spent the afternoon curled up in bed with a cup of tea and a book, secretly pretending that there is a brisk chill in the air outside my window. I keep eyeing all the crisp fall tops and cozy sweaters in my closet and have been longing for my gray suede boots. My new red lipstick is going to go perfectly with all those rich, jeweled colors. Already, I've looked up corn mazes and picked out a new one for this year and thought about the pumpkin bread (I made one loaf this week.) and cider I want to pack in the car. I started planning a "Cabarrus County Day" for all my nonlocal friends, to take them an hour away to my hometown to explore the country and small-town life I grew up in. This entire day is, of course, centered around a fall festival at the grist mill. At least I have the county fair to plan for, only one month away. Paul's mom has talked me into entering the pie contest, and I think I'll also enter a piece or two of sewing, and Paul is going to do a few photographs from his big backpacking trip out West. I suppose the leaves will have to keep their green for a month or so longer, and I will just have to keep on waiting in my summer dress and sandals...

Some highlights from last fall, and what a beautiful one it was!



Taking a stroll through the big graveyard, downtown.



On a Thanksgiving hike in New Hampshire.



On a day with my best friend, Nicole, in our hometown of Mt. Pleasant.



At the state fair in Raleigh. I love the chicken barn and could stay there for hours!



My favorite turkey



Maddox, Nicole's son and my "nephew," eating an ear of roasted corn from the fair.


Picking out pumpkins at the farmer's market.


After our first carving - me on the left, Dustin, and Sarah.
These are our scary Halloween poses.


What we do to keep warm - dance parties in the living room!
Me on the left, Sarah, and Corrie Lynn



Afternoon walk

Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment