Monday, August 15, 2011

Object of Affection: Granny's Pill Box

This pill box used to sit on one of the end tables in Aileen's formal living room, and I remember tiptoeing in there to rub my fingers over the flowers in the dark. I loved feeling the smoothness of each rounded petal, like the prettiest Braille. My imagination was taken with the beautiful, bright colors too, and I thought that it was one of the most special things that Aileen or Granny had in the house. It was the tiniest little trinket. To me, it was delicate and lovely, and I don't remember ever picking it up off the table to hold in my hands. I just ran my fingers across it in the secrecy of the dark.



I still hold the flowered pillbox near and dear, and it now sits on a small shelf in my sewing room. Every time I touch it, it reminds me of my Granny, and I remember being little again, peering over the edge of the end table in the dark.

--------------------

"Objects of Affection" is a series of blog posts that allows me to  share some of my favorite and most special things with you. I'll pick something different from around my home each time and tell you a bit about it. I think photographing and writing about these objects are a way to help me appreciate all the things around me and to reflect on the meaning they hold for me. It's nice to linger over these little things in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment