Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Make Good with Verabelle & Goodwill

I've got big news, folks... My Sew-It-Yourself button and ruffle kits are going to be on sale at Goodwill!!! Yes, THE Goodwill. You know, the thrift store that I've been frequenting since I got my driver's license. Squeeeee!!!!

I've been blogging for Goodwill for over a year now, sharing my tips for thrifting and how to upcycle your Goodwill purchases into something new. But the Goodwill-Verabelle partnership has recently blossomed into something even more exciting!

On September 24, I will be at the Concord Goodwill Center to lead Goodwill's first ever Make Good DIY workshop! We'll be using my Sew-It-Yourself kits so that shoppers can customize their very own thrifted cardigan. My kits will be on sale inside the Goodwill store and will remain there until sold out.



Next Saturday's workshop will start with sewing demonstrations by yours truly, and then you'll get to rummage through the racks at Goodwill (with the help of my trained eye) to choose a cardigan to recreate. You'll leave with a new, one-of-a-kind top that will be a perfect addition to your fall wardrobe.

I'll be teaching techniques for both the beginning sewer and for those more experienced. You can either scour the shelves at Goodwill for materials to create your very own ruffles and fabric-covered buttons, or you can use one of my readymade Sew-It-Yourself ruffle and button kits for a quick and easy update. 

With my SIY kits, all you have to do is pull the drawstring on your ruffle to adjust it to the length of your cardigan. Then pin it on and sew! Use your coordinating vintage fabric covered buttons on the same cardigan or another top.

And using examples from my line of redesigned vintage clothing, I'll also show you how you can apply the same techniques to other items from your wardrobe.



All the details...

What: Make Good: A Do-It-Yourself workshop, hosted by Goodwill
When: Saturday, Sept. 24 at 10 a.m.
Where: Concord Goodwill Center
What to bring: Nothing! You can participate by just watching the demonstrations, or you can shop for a cardigan on site! We will have “sew-it-yourself” kits (including buttons, ruffles and instructions) available for purchase as well, so you can get started embellishing your cardigan right away.
RSVP: To sign up, visit your local Goodwill store or send an email with your name to community@goodwillsp.orgWe look forward to seeing you there!


Read more at the Wow Goodwill blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment